Saturday, June 15, 2013

HARD Shaving soap.... Good or bad?

Recently I made a batch of soap in an attempt to make some soap that I can use with my straight razor. The previous batch I had made was REALLY soft and wasn't going to work so I decided to try and make a nice hard soap. It turns out that the lather made this recipe isn't very stable so I will have to make a new batch and try a different mixture. However, I also discovered that hard soap may not be the best, but I will point out a few pro's and con's that I discovered and it may help you make a decision.

Pro's. One of the biggest benefits of the hard soap is that it lasts a long time. This soap doesn't crumble or fall apart and even stays together pretty well when it gets wet. Because it holds up well when it's wet it doesn't clump into your shaving brush like a soft soap might. Sadly, this is about the only pro's I could find to simply a hard soap. At first I honestly thought this would be a big bonus so I wouldn't have to make a lot of it.

Con's. The biggest benefit might also be its biggest downfall. Because it is so hard it is difficult to lather. It is hard to dissolve enough soap to get it to lather and so it takes a long time. That wouldn't be so bad if the lather was good, but it just might be what makes it unable to produce a good lather. Also, being so hard also makes it hard to even use as a hand soap and can even be kind of painful.

So, there you have it. It is really short but I hope it helps. When you are making a soap keep in mind that a hard soap might last a while and hold up well when wet, which is good, but it may be impractical in the end. The one benefit is that I might be able to mix in more potassium hydroxide, typically used in liquid soap, and get a better lather without making mushy soap.

1 comment: