Saturday, January 19, 2013

Shaving.... It's serious!


If you haven't ever given much thought to shaving you should!
Most people don't know that there is a lot more to taking care of your face than washing and shaving. Washing your face makes sense to most people and they will discover what works best for their skin. Some people just shower and call it good. Others have to use certain products for their skin to not freak out, but most guys don't know that shaving makes a huge difference.
The majority of the shaving products that the common beginning shaver is exposed to is the disposable razor or electric razor. Both products pull the hair as it cuts and tend to irritate the skin. Manufacturers even recognize this and advertise that their product is smoother than their competitor's product and the best out there. Some electric shavers even advertise the pulling action as an advantage saying that it provides a closer shave. I have tried both options and was left wanting. Honestly I dreaded shaving!
My wife and I were at bath and body works for their after season sale looking at the soaps and candles when I looked at the more men oriented section. While looking I found a menthol smelling lotion and I liked the smell and wanted to see if their shaving cream was similar. The shaving cream wasn't menthol scented but seemed like it might smell good. I thought I would give it a try because I wasn't the biggest fan of the mass produced canned creams, gels and foams that I had tried. This opened my eyes to a whole new world!
I had to figure out how to use this new shaving cream and stumbled upon the world of straight razors and straight razor shaving. Now I actually enjoy shaving and I take my time instead of rushing through it. I am just starting to get into the world of straight shaving and have much to learn.
Currently I am using a Dovo Shavette Straight Razor with the disposable replacement blades. While this option has some ongoing expenses it is a relatively inexpensive way to get into straight shaving and see if I like it. I know that there are some avid shavers out there that would say it's not the same thing, and I am sure they are right, but it works for me. Besides, if I use two blades a week I still have enough blades to last almost two years and they cost me less than 10$. Four blades for my other razor, which might last 3-4 months at best, cost about 20-25$. Can you say RIP OFF! Not only did they cost more but they also irritated my skin more.
So for the cost of maybe 6-8 replacement blades I bought a new razor and blades that will last me as long as 24 blades would with my old expensive razor would. This means that for a quarter of the cost I get a better shave and supplies that will last longer. This has also lead me to look into making some shaving products myself, like aftershave, but that's another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment